Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, September 7, 2009

I don't see what all the fuss is about....

I don't speak too often on political issues in my blog, but I just had to share my opinion about something. I heard all the fuss being raised over Obama's address to students on Tuesday. From what I've heard over the weekend I wasn't sure I would want to my child to listen to the message, but I just read the speech released on: http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

...and I have to say that I think the speech is great. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm a pretty conservative minded person, politically speaking, and I have to admit that I agree with his message. Kids MUST come ready to listen and work hard.

Now I know this is probably not the first draft and who knows what it said before it actually got published....but I would welcome this message in my classroom. I think this is an example of people being upset about who the message is coming from rather than listening to what the message is saying. There's plenty of things our president has said that I don't agree with, BUT this speech has nothing to do with politics....it's about encouraging kids to do their best and work hard.

Note: Our school has decided not to show the video so our students won't hear it at my school. I really feel that parents should read it themselves before they make a decision about whether their children should listen to it. For the matter, no one should ever trust what they hear in the media on an issue. Check it out for yourself and make your own decisions!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think the fuss was that no one knew what it was going to say and I heard many concerns about the lesson plans that went with it....though I believe those were changed. Honestly though, once I knew our school wasn't showing it, I stopped listening.

Jami said...

That was actually pretty good. I liked how he made refrences to to Google, Twitter & facebook... something kids can relate to. I just don't see how you can talk to a five year old the same way you can to an 18 year old. I don't even think kindergarten & fifth graders relate to the same topics.

Jami said...

I do have some leftover cake, give me a call tonight.