Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thanks for your Prayers...

Connor is out of the lamp suit case and looking healthier. His bilirubin levels are still elevated but not enough to warrant him sleeping in the suitcase all the time. I don't know all the science behind it but Kristen is going to have to switch to formula. You moms out there may know more than I do about this...breast milk is partially digested for the baby and because of that Connor's liver was being a little lazy. When Kristen mixed in some formula which is not partially digested already, Connor's liver had to kick in and work at full speed. Apparently when the liver was being lazy with the breast milk, that's when the jaundice was happening. They think it's because with the blood disorder your spleen and liver are usually affected in some ways.

So anyway...there's the explanation. I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well. The bottom line is he is okay now and they figured out what to do to keep him healthy. Kristen is a little bummed that she won't nurse anymore though. Thanks for praying for him!!!

5 comments:

Hers and His said...

I'm so happy to hear he's doing better! We have been praying for him every night.

The Tibbs World said...

Maybe she can start nursing him in a week or two (if she wants or if it is possible.) That is what I had to do with Brooklyn and it worked out well.

But we are glad to hear that he is better.

Dan and Denise said...

Hey, Karen! Sorry to butt in, but I wouldn't feel right NOT expressing my opinion on this matter. Tell your sister to get a second opinion on the breast feeding issue! Mother's milk is what's best for babies -- bar none! Because mother's milk is easier for a baby to digest, they poop more often. Pooping leads to lower levels of billiruben. I am so sorry to hear that Connor has not been well, but I am even more sorry to hear that the pediatrician recommended formula over breast milk. Your sister SHOULD be bummed, though it's not her fault. She needs a second opinion.

Denise Ellnor

A Whole New McAfee Crew said...

i am with you denise! both of my boys had jaundice. my dr. told me to nurse more often but NEVER to stop! breast is best ALWAYS!!

Theresa said...

I got to see your oh so cute nephew today :) Kristen had him at Wal-Mart with his big sisters. He is so cute ! Looks like them , but in a Boy way . So handsome !