Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Monday, July 6, 2009

Week Four Update...

I have the same feeling on this trip that I did on the last one. I thought God sent me here to do some good work, but in the end I really thing he sends me here to renew my faith and grow as a person. Having said that, here's what's been going on....

Last Monday-We took a man named Norman to get measured for a hand bike and hand/knee pads. He had polio when he was a child and lost the use of his legs. Every time we stop of the market he is sitting outside along with many other beggars asking for food. There has always been something different about him. Jill remembered him from out trip two years ago. He has a joy-filled face and is always so happy despite his life circumstances. Jill's idea was to find out if we can get him and hand bike to help him travel and we were right on board. You see many handicapped people here getting around by the use of their hands only. They wear flip flops on their hands and their knees are extremely callused due to dragging their legs along as they walk down the streets. It would truly break your heart. We hope to get to see the completed project. The bike is supposed to be ready for pick-up on Friday, July 17... the day before we leave.

Tuesday-Thursday- We taught at the school. Our typical day includes teaching 40-80 minute English lessons to six levels of learners. Just to give you and idea. I'm using LOTS of my Reading Recovery skills here along with Jill and Melanie to help students learn their letters and begin to read. We are hoping to pass along some of our strategies to the English teacher here. We think we are really helping them make a jump in their knowledge. ON Thursday we were late to school because one of the little girls was hurt badly. Here is my prayer request for this update: It has been unseasonably cold here. Remember that it is winter here but the average winter temp is usually still in the 60's. It has been in the 40's and 50's here and the native Malawians really even don't know how to stay warm. A little girl named Rose was trying to warm herself near a fire on the orphanage grounds. She decided to straddle it to warm her legs and her dress caught on fire. She has suffered third degree burns all over her legs. Please pray that she has a speedy recovery and for no infections. Health care here is not what it is in the states.

On Wednesday the founder of the mission here, Gardiner Gentry, arrived and he and his wife and nurse are now staying with us at our house. We are so happy to have them here. Not only do we feel safe and more secure but they are awesome company as well. they are truly an inspiration to leading this mission!

Friday-Saturday- We took a little vacation. We went to the Mvuu Camp about two hours away for a safari. It was AWESOME. We saw hippos, all kinds of different antelopes, wart hogs, baboons, all kinds of birds, elephants, and crocodiles. We were SO CLOSE to the crocks and elephants. Wow...can't wait to share pics when I get home. It was a nice break.

Sunday-A day full of church. Jill played the guitar while Mel sang O Holy Night for the morning service. It was beautiful! I wish I could have participated but people just don't really want to hear the IU Fight Song played on the clarinet here and that's really all I have to offer...

Monday- It was a holiday at the school. Malawi's Independence Day.....so we have spent the day at The Fullfords helping them with projects. I had a hot shower (GREAT) and now I'm checking me email. This weekly shower/email trip to their house is really a treat.

Okay, that's all for now. We are coming home in a little under two weeks and I'm happy/sad. I could stay here forever and help out if only my friends and family were here with me.

Love,
Karen

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi, Karen!!! Love the update and can't wait to hear more! And see your pictures of the wild life!