Daisypath Anniversary Years PicDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sweating the Small Stuff


I totally sweat the small stuff. There are two things I struggle with on a daily basis with the small stuff...

Worry: I can find anything to worry about. When I was in college I would worry over the small details of every little thing. I remember asking my friend, Nora, once about the details of a trip we were going to take. She was so laid back and said, "You worry enough for the both of us." I remember liking the fact that I tried to take care of so many little details that she knew she could count on me, but now looking back it was the beginning of a very bad habit. In the past week I've caught myself worrying about things that I shouldn't even be thinking about yet. Once I solve one thing, it's like I have to find something else to worry about. Why do I do that?

Guilt: I'm not talking about deep, dark guilt over sinful things. I'm talking about silly guilt when I think I've hurt someone's feelings or spoken too sharply. Nine times out of ten when I apologize for things I think I've done, the other person doesn't even remember what I'm talking about. Last week my step sister Jill told me, "Karen, your rude is everyone else's normal." This was after I apologized like seven times because I thought I had been rude. The thing is if I didn't apologize I would have felt guilty for days so it was better for me to just make the attempt. I need to just let things go.

I have a copy of Max Lucado's Traveling Light on my nightstand that I read several years ago. I think it's time to revisit it...

1 comment:

Amy said...

I might need to read that after you are done. Haha!